General Category > General Discussion

Where to find woodworking supplies in London

(1/2) > >>

jeporter02:
I'm an avid turner here in the United States, but will be moving to London this year with work.  I will have space for a shop in our home in London, but I have debated what to do about setting up shop.  My tools are all wired for 110, and I'm not keen on trying to run things off transformers, so I will likely put them in storage here and start from scratch.  I have done some searching for woodworking supply shops in London, but seem to find mostly a mish mash of hardware stores.  I'm not familiar with the brands of machines being sold online, so I hesitate to try buying online tools without first being able to see them, handle them, and talk to somebody.

Can anyone offer a good shop in or near London where I can procure good quality tools and machinery and possibly meet some knowledgeable help to point me in the right direction for my other needs? 

Thank you!

Jay

Tim Pettigrew:
I would recommend The Toolpost at Didcot which is about 50 miles from the centre of London.  I have always had good advice and excellent service from them.  Have a look at their website and you will get a good idea of what they have to offer.

willstewart:
Central London is not really the ideal place - an expedition may be warranted! There is plenty of UK outside London.  You might also look at Axminster either at Axminster or Coventry.  I wonder why you are concerned about transformers - these are pretty safe I think and if you have machinery you trust I would look into them carefully before changing all your stuff!

seventhdevil:

--- Quote from: jeporter02 on June 15, 2019, 02:22:34 AM ---I'm an avid turner here in the United States, but will be moving to London this year with work.  I will have space for a shop in our home in London, but I have debated what to do about setting up shop.  My tools are all wired for 110, and I'm not keen on trying to run things off transformers, so I will likely put them in storage here and start from scratch.  I have done some searching for woodworking supply shops in London, but seem to find mostly a mish mash of hardware stores.  I'm not familiar with the brands of machines being sold online, so I hesitate to try buying online tools without first being able to see them, handle them, and talk to somebody.

Can anyone offer a good shop in or near London where I can procure good quality tools and machinery and possibly meet some knowledgeable help to point me in the right direction for my other needs? 

Thank you!

Jay

--- End quote ---

what sort of machinery are you looking to purchase for your shop?

i've a few machines to get rid of that are 240v but they may not be what you are after.

Twisted Trees:
Which part of London? this is a small island (USA has national parks bigger than the UK!) but traffic in London makes it sensible travel in certain directions to avoid having to go through London itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version