General Category > General Discussion

ASny ideas on what timber might work for this?

<< < (3/3)

Bryan Milham:
And now a thank you for everyone that has responded.

Les, I have both Burmese teak and enough Laburnum in stock, not sure the teak is dark enough but will polish up a piece of the laburnum and see what it looks like. Thanks for the thoughts.

Will, Not sure I want to go find Rosewood, although as I've never turned it, it would be an experience. Brown Oak, I did consider oak but thought it too open grained to polish up to a 'conker shine' finish, I've only worked Brown oak once, a long time ago and can't remember, is it any different?

Pete, Sapele, I have plenty of that, although I was thinking that if I had to stain something, I'd go with Van Dyke crystals as you can adjust the mix to get the depth of colour you want. That might take a few applications but less of a hit and miss affair to my mind. But I like the thought of the timber.

John, Utile, another of the Sapele family, I've used it once for a workbench top, never turned it. Is it a good dark brown colour to start with?

Twisted, Yew, I would never of considered that. I've seen it stained to a red, I actually thought it was the American Bloodwood when I saw it. I think I'd have to get a bit with clean straight grain, sometime hard to achieve in Yew, but it would give a great finish.

Steve, How much do I need, not a lot, enough for a pair of candlesticks for a guy's wife's birthday. What are you thinking of.

Percy, Walnut, yes, that was my first thought, I have some, but not really dark so I would have to source some darker or stain it down a shade or so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version