General Category > General Discussion

how far do you grind your tools down???

<< < (3/5) > >>

Twisted Trees:
Some tools just feel so good you have to grind them down to the nub. Others are just tools that get replaced as soon as you have to work around them.

I don't know what the difference is, but I have to confess there are a few chisels in my collection that should probably have been binned by now, instead they get worked around and sometimes have strange grinds for occasional use just to make them stay on my shelf for as long as possible.

When I started turning 10 years ago I bought some cheap second hand tools to practice grinding determined to be able to learn to freehand sharpen and learn angles that work for me (still learning) I still have a couple of those on the shelf that are now 90% handle.

Sandy:
Hi seventhdevil,

To me, all your tools in the image look as if there's a good few months life in them yet, dependent on how much you use them each day, but they'd still be used by me by year end as a hobbyist turner.

Turners will use different tools more often or less depending on what they turn, how often they turn, how they use each specific tool and so on.  So I think you've set a question that can't be accurately answered by a few turners on these posts.

To get such an answer you'd have to run a poll of all forum users at least.  :) :) :)

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
I think the answer here would be use them until they become dangerous to grind or dangerous to turn with, then some could be re-purposed just to eek out the last of the life available. Of course the handles are still fine (if it wasn't for the 5 new blades I have put in my spindle gouge handle it would be the same tool I started with) :P :P

seventhdevil:

--- Quote from: Sandy on July 06, 2019, 07:19:58 PM ---Hi seventhdevil,

To me, all your tools in the image look as if there's a good few months life in them yet, dependent on how much you use them each day, but they'd still be used by me by year end as a hobbyist turner.

Turners will use different tools more often or less depending on what they turn, how often they turn, how they use each specific tool and so on.  So I think you've set a question that can't be accurately answered by a few turners on these posts.

To get such an answer you'd have to run a poll of all forum users at least.  :) :) :)

--- End quote ---

you are right they are all good for perhaps another 12 months or more i was just trying to see what others did.

my skew is a little small for what i use it for but it will not be binned as it's still perfectly good for small items.

Paul Hannaby:
I think some tools are more comfortable to use after they have lost a couple of inches off the end. I have recently ground flats past the end of the flute on a couple of half in spindle gouges so I can still locate them in the grinding jig now that has reached past the flute. I reckon I will get another inch out of them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version