General Category > General Discussion

How do clubs need to respond in modern ‘Web’ era?

<< < (5/7) > >>

Derek:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on August 13, 2019, 01:07:08 AM ---Personally I feel that clubs are missing a trick by trying to focus on demonstrations that take the whole evening, don't get me wrong the demonstrations are good and worth attending, but the short time left means that I really don't know anyone from club nights, a few I know from other events take my attention so the 20 minutes or so that is not demonstration time is gone before anyone gets to know anyone, so why not sit alone at home and watch YouTube?

--- End quote ---

The club I belong to has two meetings a month one on a Saturday which is all day with two tea breaks and one for lunch, this is normally kept for a professional demonstrator. And the second is a Tuesday evening where a member will make something small and fairly easy for the first half of the evening, this then gives those that wish to have a go and also allow new turners to also make the item with help from members. Those that do not turn in the second half have the opportunity to have a chat with other members again with the tea break.

burywoodturners:
That it or dilemma, get the best from the demostrator, or give time to the members, we give members a chance to show their work but few do. As we have our meetings in a toolshop, with volunteer staff, we are limited to the one night a month for club nights. I spend most of the evening talking to as many members as I can, before the demo starts and tea break. Nothing worse than sitting in room full of strangers and being ignored!
Ron

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
We had an official meeter and greeter for new members at one time, but as we are a very friendly club we don't need that now. We all speak to whomever comes through the door.

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on August 14, 2019, 08:27:02 AM ---We had an official meeter and greeter for new members at one time, but as we are a very friendly club we don't need that now. We all speak to whomever comes through the door.

--- End quote ---

Oh please tell me you have a member called Norm  ;D  As in the TV program Cheers.

Bristol club is also friendly, but there is a world of difference between a room full of people saying "Hi" and knowing what lathe, preferred brand of tools, sharpening system, etc. people have.

I in no way wish to take clubs off the demonstration circuit, that is an important income stream in the trade, as well as a way of those with a talent for distance teaching to develop that craft, the best of which could go on to make DVD's etc. that can lead to an international career.

But clubs need to know the members are a key strength of a club surviving, both as members and as a resource beyond what DVD / Internet can provide.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Twisted Trees I agree but I also have to say there is nothing in club rules to say that you cannot meet members outside of club meeting hours, so sometimes it could be down to 2 people just hitting it off and making a friendship. I think the old fashioned word for it is fellowship, but you do need an outgoing personality to a certain degree. Me? I just talk to everyone, I am sure the people on the tube in London when I go think I am the village idiot but I don't care, I like to talk to people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version