General Category > General Discussion

How do clubs need to respond in modern ‘Web’ era?

<< < (2/7) > >>

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
I am not sure that the clubs need to evolve I think it is more that the members have to get more involved. I have demonstrated at many clubs around the country and they all have the same problem. It is always the same little group that put their names forward and participate. We tried to have Saturday sessions but someone said they go shopping on a Saturday, but these people are retired!! go shopping on Fridays for crying out loud.
I used to be heavily involved with one of the cadet organisations, as a boy I was always eager to take part in whatever was being organised but these days the kids have so much school work to do they do not have time for extra curricular activities and the parents would just use it as a child minding service most of the time. People that join clubs can be categorised into 2 groups, those that do and help out and those that just attend and do nothing. In the clubs I visit there are always those that are keen to leave at the end and can't be bothered to even put their own chair away, to my mind that is plain rude. The best clubs that I have been to have a vibrant committee and all the members participate and they are eager to help other members. The young people that do attend are treated the same as other club members, after all they are only the same but younger. There is no patronisation and certainly there are no sexist comments made. Basically everyone behaves the way sensible adults should. They are helpful, kind and polite.

John Plater:
A real can o’ worms this one. There are lots of ways of looking at it but fundamentally a club is a coming together of like minded people. If the club is not offering whatever it is that the individual or group of members wants from it then they walk. So be it. The people who volunteer their time and effort to help run things do so for their own reasons. For many it is an extension of their interest in woodturning activity. If they don’t like the way things are then they should either change them or leave. For the vast majority it is a leisure activity and as such should not be creating grief. Time is far too short.
I once stuck my head above the parapet, got dropped on from great height and said never again. It was giving too much grief and not what I thought I had signed up for. So, I am a happy footsoldier, working behind the scenes and offering support where I am able and when I am able. I am quite comfortable to let others get on with what interests them and will join in if it suits me too. I attend and support a very good club for reasons of “infotainment”, being sociable and “putting something back”. I don’t NEED to but CHOOSE to.
I have seen first hand the “coming together of like minded people” through the digital media in a number of instances. It seemed to work for them and I got the feeling that it involved by and large a younger demograph. I hope that there is enough opportunity for anyone to pursue their interest as woodturning continues to evolve. It might be through digital media, printed media, or meetings with others. There is no one single correct answer, hopefully there is room for many.
ATB John

Wood spinner:
My personal opinion is as follows

Woodturning is a dying art and may be gone in 25 years time

We are not getting school age people showing interest in any great numbers , mainly down to the government removing hands on activities from schools .
I have belonged to several clubs 99% retired men,
I was at the Chestnut woodturning weekend , same at the show , I did not see one 15 - 30 year old on either day .

If you find a youngster and concider mentoring you then fall foul of the Pedo bergade , Would anyone these day risk a one on one with a youngster at home teaching wood related hobbies , I would need to think long and hard as your joy and help could turn to hell very easy, as said school work / home work / social media / Fortnight gaming etc all come way above woodturning

I see this as such a shame as working with wood is stress relieving for me , design opportunitys ,creating ,  starting with a chunk of wood and ending up with something that looks and feels good gives great pleasure

We need to find a way of bringing on the next generation or Doom  :(

GBF:
Hi Wood Spinner you are a cheerful soul aren't you .
Joking aside I agree with everything you say as Chairman of our local club we tried to get youngsters interested in turning .
We Emailed the local Scouts Sea Scouts and I went to the local secondary School all to no avail.The School would not let me talk to the woodwork Teacher but gave me his Email.I Emailed him with an offer to go to the School and talk to the young people or to do a demo for them no reply.
The same with the scouts and Sea scouts neither replied to Emails.
Maybe they could not be bothered to tell the kids we will never know.

I dont agree that Woodturning will die out because as long as older people take it up it will survive .

Regards George

bodrighywood:
Woodturning is, but shouldn't be, the prerogativ e of tghe elderly by amnd large. We did a sort of census at outr club out of curiosity anmd a surprising number of people didn't turn, some didn't have a lathe and about 90% were over retirement age or approaching it. Part of the problem is that young people are actively discouraged in schools and colleges from being involved in practical things and told to focus on academic ones.  Parents have a responsibility to encourage their children to be creative, schools are by amnd large dictated to zand can't do much but we who belong to clubs also need to try to have an atmosphere that doesn't smack of an old folks club for younf people to come to and not feel lost in.
Just spent the day with a lady who came for tuition and asked fif her 17 year old daughter could join us, that is a rarity and was fantastic to see the grin on both their faces at the end of the day with the pieces they had made.
As far as woodturning ebing a dying art, kit is actually flourishing. When I first started in the 60's it was simply seen as part of 'carpentry' or general wood work. It has since developed into more of an art form and hopefully will continue to do so.
Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version