General Category > General Discussion

Exotics

<< < (2/8) > >>

Mike Amphlett:
I attended a demonstration a long time ago and the demonstrator definied an exotic timber as being "An ordinary timber that is a long way from home."

willstewart:
Perhaps focusing on timbers taken from 'the wild' that are threatened might be simplest.  It is quite simple to check the CITES status of anything you are unsure about. Mere rarity is not the only issue - sandalwood for example I think is mostly harvested from planted groves but is scarce because it is used for oil. But you can look about - I found Jarrah as an old railway sleeper very cheaply (it was definitely so used from the shoe marks but is very durable and still fine to use).  And there are unusual but not rare timbers here - ivy for example and elder (very popular as wands for Harry Potter fans!).

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
I fully understand the arguments and statements made. In my very humble opinion I trust the opinion of the very reputable companies that I buy my wood from. If they stop stocking it I will stop buying it, and I know this comment will attract differing opinions but there is not timber that matches African Blackwood for turnability and finish. If I wanted to get a painted finish I would make it out of plastic...whoops that is bad for the planet too. Home grown timbers are the best in the world for certain applications but sometimes only an exotic will do.

GBF:
That is interesting John What applications are the where only African Blackwood would do.

Regards George

willstewart:
George

Woodwind instruments for example.  You might be able to dye boxwood black but the sound might not be quite the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version