General Category > General Discussion

4 stage pulley

(1/3) > >>

Maca:
I'm currently trying to get a lathe back up and running which required me to buy a new motor.  The standard 1hp single phase motor comes with a 19mm drive shaft.  Unfortunately the old motor and pulley have a smaller shaft diameter (about 16 or 17mm I think, or possibly an imperial equivalent). 

The small diameter is 85mm outer diameter and the large one is about 195mm.  For the life of me I can't find a 4 stage pulley online with these kind of dimensions.  Any ideas where I can get one? 

I also read about someone who tried to drill the bore out and because of the keyway it knocks the drill off and you end up with an oval bore unless you go to a professional workshop where they can anchor the piece and drill accurately.  You then need to machine out the keyway which is very difficult.  So I'd rather not go down that route if possible.

Sandy:
You don't say what the issue is with the original motor; would you be able to have the original motor rewound or repaired or is there potential to make use of a taper-lock bush to fit your pulley on a new metric motor drive shaft?

Not certain I've understood your problem so apologies if I have and the above doesn't make any sense.

Twisted Trees:
Personally I would be looking for an engineering shop that can bore and re-key the original pulleys. It will probably not cost too much, as you say it is a boring job for a big machine, not a hand drill and a file.

Derek:
Find a local model engineering club maybe one of the members can do it for you with a lathe and a broach for the keyway. The keyway can also be cut on a lathe but is very time consuming

Duncan A:
Obviously depends on how much you are willing to spend and whether it's worth investing much in the lathe but one option is to fit a single pulley to the motor (probably easiest with a Taperlock coupling) and use an inverter for speed control. You then have a much improved lathe!
Duncan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version