General Category > General Discussion

What finish to apply over metal leaf?

<< < (2/3) > >>

bodrighywood:
To be honest I have only ever put the lacquer on leaf so don't know how any other finish would react. Personally I would do that first as it's function is to protect the leaf. I would also beware of buffing on a wheel as that could generate heat and not sure how that would affect the size? Bottom line I'd lacquer first then apply any other finish though if you are doing it by hand there shouldn't need to add finish to the rim afterwards anyway? Leave the lacquer for a good few hours after applying as it can seem touch dry but still be tacky.

Pete

Percy:
I had another look at the website that you recommended to see what other finishes they sold for use on gold leaf, and it turns out that shellac is a traditional sealer  on gilded work. This might work better as its a finish that I've used a lot, and I know I can use it on the rest of the wood without a problem (it's also something I already have, so I wouldn't need to buy any new finish). I think I might do some test pieces first to try different finishes out.

I think I'll seal the piece with shellac and re-sand it before gilding, then do the gold leaf work, and apply more shellac over the top to seal everything and see if that works.

Thanks for your help on this Pete. Much appreciated.

bodrighywood:
I haven't used shellac so be interested to hear how you get on. Sounds like a good alternative though

Pete

Derek:
Not long ago I applied some brass leaf to a piece I sealed the wood with acrylic sander sealer and once the leaf was applied, I used acrylic lacquer over the top These are the chestnut ones no reaction so far and that was on the 22nd of July.
I did try a test piece before committing to the final work which is something I try to do if in doubt

bodrighywood:
The lacquer (don't know about the shellac) helps prevent the leaf from peeling and also, with metal as opposed to gold leaf, limits tarnishing to some extent. Acrylic sealer couls wellhave the same result as some of the lacquers are acrylic based. Often same things by a different name. As I am selling mine within weeks of making I need to be sure though LOL

pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version