General Category > General Discussion

Tool rests

<< < (4/7) > >>

Twisted Trees:
I am a great believer in Libron Lubricating Wax, my tool rests, lathe bed, various threads, bandsaw table, router table etc all have a coating of it. Stops wet wood causing rust, and keeps everything nicely mobile.

That being said, my Myford Mystro in use since 1996 which I have recently sold had the original toolrest with it, which I and presumably the previous owner had redressed from time to time with a file was still in good order with plenty of metal left.

All instructors in real time or DVD say that turning should not be a struggle with the tools but  a light almost self supporting touch, so those with bad habits get yourself a well placed block of wood for knocking the shavings out of the flute, those who are wearing out cast iron by levering chisels into timber may want to relax a bit :)

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Might feel Heath Robinson but it is a method that has been used for many years. Jolly Jim the pole lathe turners use wooden tool rests all the time.

seventhdevil:
i've just checked and my robust tool rests are 4 1/2 years old and i use the 15" straight one every day and there is not a mark on the hardened rod.

JollyJim:

Thanks Bodrighywood and BHT for replying to mine. I might try it out, I could do with just a
short rest, maybe 3inches or so, and see how I get on. It might be that I just make the post from wood and the rest itself, from metal. I've seen some drawer pulls in BQ that might do the job. I'll let you know if I get anywhere with the idea - thanks again

regards - Jim

ps to Bodrighywood, if it's not being too nosey, could you say what the origin of your name is and how it's
pronounced?- I'm intrigued.......cheers

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: JollyJim on October 10, 2019, 12:00:34 AM ---

ps to Bodrighywood, if it's not being too nosey, could you say what the origin of your name is and how it's
pronounced?- I'm intrigued.......cheers

--- End quote ---

Bodrighy is the name of the house I was born in in a little village called Cadgwith down on the Lizard a few years ag. Wood becaause I work in wood. It is pronounced Bod-ree-gee (as in geek) .

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version