General Category > General Discussion

Tool rests

<< < (2/7) > >>

burywoodturners:
My son-in-law is a welder and has made tool rests for me, and for a club member. Mie was 1" tube ent for bowl work and one was for my meber and was made from 1" bright steel bar. He is very pleased with the rest.
Ron

seventhdevil:

--- Quote from: willstewart on October 08, 2019, 05:12:16 PM ---Thanks for the replies! 

This does tend to confirm the issue - yes one can re-dress the conventional tool rest, and sometime someone could produce one with a rod fixed on top, but meanwhile the rod version seems worth using for the moment.  I doubt it is very fragile (but anyone who has broken one please say!) - not only is it pretty thick & solid but also I think of the same material as the supporting post on the standard rest anyway.

--- End quote ---

there already is that option available to you.

look up Robust toolrests.
https://www.philironswoodturning.co.uk/lathes/robust-lathes/robust/68/robust-toolrest-price-list

you may think they are expensive but they are the best investment i've ever made.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Will it sounds to me that this is a recurring problem with you. May I suggest that you have either been very unlucky with your tool rest, so perhaps an exchange is in order if you have a new lathe or perhaps you should look at the way you handle your tools. If you find you are getting a lot of tool chatter you could try moving the tool rest closer to the work, After many years with my tool rest, having to occasionally draw file it, there is still plenty of "meat" on it but despite all of the turning I do I have never formed a ripple on the tool rest.

bodrighywood:
I get the odd dent in mine but that s because I have a bad habit of tapping it with the tool to get rid of shavings and dust. My fault and like John, a quick going over with a file and it's back to normal again.

Pete

michaelb:
a quick going over with a file and it's back to normal

Agree with Pete

but just add,  rub candle over rest , tool moves freely no snags

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version