General Category > General Discussion

The wierdest commision.......or do you know better?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: willstewart on October 14, 2019, 04:34:13 PM ---Well I made some wands from (real) elder wood.  Had to improvise a bit for the phoenix feather core with layers of red/orange/yellow dyed veneer glued into a sandwich with the elder before turning.  But looked pretty good!  Supplied to nephews against a promise not to turn anyone into a furry animal...

--- End quote ---

I think we owe JK Rowling a vote of thanks, children, grandchildren, now want the sticks they play with to have seen a lathe  :) Last one I gave to my granddaughter  because it was 'broken' I couldn't make anything invisible with it!

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on October 14, 2019, 04:54:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: willstewart on October 14, 2019, 04:34:13 PM ---Well I made some wands from (real) elder wood.  Had to improvise a bit for the phoenix feather core with layers of red/orange/yellow dyed veneer glued into a sandwich with the elder before turning.  But looked pretty good!  Supplied to nephews against a promise not to turn anyone into a furry animal...

--- End quote ---

I think we owe JK Rowling a vote of thanks, children, grandchildren, now want the sticks they play with to have seen a lathe  :) Last one I gave to my granddaughter  because it was 'broken' I couldn't make anything invisible with it!

--- End quote ---

Try selling them at shows and charge about £50 ech. Makes people invisible very quickly LOL

Pete

Twisted Trees:
I have not tried selling them, have been paid for a couple of commissioned ones.

At many shows I give away simple spinning tops, but they are only free to under 10 year olds, they are priced at £100 each for anyone else.  The plan is to get the children playing and the bored parents actually get trapped into actually looking at my stall. Problem is I often have people haggling about the £100 price tag like it was real in the first place!

hughie:
Lol ,what a great topic. I have a friend who makes wands on a regular basis and has a steady turnover each month all due to J. K. Rowlings

burywoodturners:
I occasionally get a request from a lighting shop, the last one was for a base to covert an ostrich egg into a lamp. I did this and it turned out that the customer had returned from a holiday in South Africa, where ostrich eggs are on sale in souvenir shops with a map shrink wrapped round it.
Ron

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version