General Category > General Discussion

Henry taylor hs 67 bowl gouge

<< < (2/2)

seventhdevil:
i got sent a bowl gouge in the post once from peter child. strange as it was out of the blue and had a note which showed me that it was probably intended for someone else.

the note also stated that it was possibly the last of some revolutionary gouge made years ago (this was about 10 years ago in itself) but i've never done anything with it myself.

i wonder if that's what i was sent?

John Plater:
The differences between different makes of bowl gouge do mean that some will suit one type of grind more than another. Has anyone seen this topic written up anywhere ?
ATB John

burywoodturners:
i have a copy of Peter Childs Th Craftsman Woodturner and page27 shows both the 'normal' and deep fluted gouges. my understanding is that Peter pioneered both this shape and using HSS for the tools. Most of my tools came from Peter Childs shop in Great Yeldam.
Ron

Sandy:
Mark's comment is correct.
The Roy Child gouge is the HS1 aka Superflute which is a 5/8" gouge.

A search on the Henry Taylor website (Click on Gouges in the side bar menu) gives:
The original Superflute HS1, designed in 1978 by Roy Child, has sold in thousands all over the world and remains the ultimate gouge used by most leading turners. Now made in a range of sizes the ½" or 3/8" gouge recommended for general purpose work and the ¼ gouge for small bowls on very delicate cuts.

Another search on the Henry Taylor website (click on H.S.S. Woodturning Tools - Page 1 in the side bar menu)) shows HS67 as a 11/4" x 3/8" bowl scraper under the Richard Raffan design.

Mark Hancock:

--- Quote from: Sandy on October 26, 2019, 10:33:02 PM ---Mark's comment is correct.
The Roy Child gouge is the HS1 aka Superflute which is a 5/8" gouge.

A search on the Henry Taylor website (Click on Gouges in the side bar menu) gives:
The original Superflute HS1, designed in 1978 by Roy Child, has sold in thousands all over the world and remains the ultimate gouge used by most leading turners. Now made in a range of sizes the ½" or 3/8" gouge recommended for general purpose work and the ¼ gouge for small bowls on very delicate cuts.

Another search on the Henry Taylor website (click on H.S.S. Woodturning Tools - Page 1 in the side bar menu)) shows HS67 as a 11/4" x 3/8" bowl scraper under the Richard Raffan design.

--- End quote ---
Thanks Sandy and my apologies to Pete regarding the name :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version