General Category > General Discussion

Headstock spindle (Turnstyler Slide Bed Lathe)

<< < (3/4) > >>

RLSK:
Hi John,
Yes, sounds like mine. I have faceplates that have a recess with a locating pin
in the back of them to accommodate the headstock mounting. These all attach to the threaded bar that passes through the headstock. So am I right in thinking that I could have a threaded spindle made that will just fit in the recess (25mm approx) that will be locked with the grub screw? Just would have thought there could be a chance of it spinning loose, that's why I thought of utilising the locating pin and threaded bar for mounting. Obviously I have the large chuck that fastens to the threaded bar for large projects but need to have option for smaller chucks, etc. Apologies for going on
Kind regards
Rob

Docjohn:
Hi Rob
No problem
I never had a problem with the grub screw but I have to admit I rarely use it now as the only thing I tend to use it for now is an old 3 jaw chuck, otherwise I have a morse carrier for my chuck now that saves time
I hope you get it sorted
Regards
John

Maca:

--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on November 01, 2019, 05:15:27 PM ---Not sure if stainless steel would be the material to use. It has a tendancy to bind on the threads.

--- End quote ---

It's called galling.  When you have two pieces of material sliding over each other and the surfaces stick.  It is a common problem with threaded components of the same hardness and stainless steel is prone to it.  So if you make your spindle out of stainless steel and you have SS faceplates, adaptors, chucks etc. then you may encounter galling. 

Maca:

--- Quote from: RLSK on November 01, 2019, 01:34:51 PM ---Thanks fuzzyturns
Yes I was thinking m33 but I spent a few hours yesterday trying to find all the dimensions I would need to give to someone for making it also what type of metal should be used?
Kind regards
Rob

--- End quote ---

M33 is a metric thread size which is defined, starting on page 1783 of Machinery's Handbook 28th Ed.  or other similar engineering reference book.  Any machine shop will be familiar with it and you don't need to define the dimensions, you can simply call out the thread on the drawing.

Sandy:
Hi Maca,

But RLSK would still need define what he needs for the mating parts he'll screw on to the shaft (if I understand his query correctly)

--- Quote ---How long should the threaded part be? Length of register beyond the thread?,
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version