General Category > General Discussion

Woodwax 22

(1/3) > >>

iantivenan:
Hi all
I use chestnut woodwax 22 as a finish on most of my projects, but lately the wax has become hard and brittle in the tin. Is there any way to revive it, or is it time for a new tin. I've had it for about 3 years now as it's such a big tin and you only use a small amount.
Thanks.
Ian

burywoodturners:
Mash it up add a small amount of cellulose thinners and put the lid back on and leave it overnight.
Somewill saythat it might heat up and burst into flames, I doubt it but store it away from other flammable materials to be on the safe side
Ron

Duncan A:
If you're unhappy with using sanding sealer, ask Chestnut what to use. They're pretty helpful in my experience.
Duncan

Paul Hannaby:
Most wax polishes are a mix of wax and a solvent. When the solvent evaporates, the wax goes hard. Adding more solvent with soften the wax. White spirit or Turps are probably better solvents than cellulose for wax polishes. You can also use some mineral oil.

I heat the wax in a double boiler to melt it, then add the solvent, then mix it and let it cool.

iantivenan:

--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on November 23, 2019, 05:55:49 PM ---Most wax polishes are a mix of wax and a solvent. When the solvent evaporates, the wax goes hard. Adding more solvent with soften the wax. White spirit or Turps are probably better solvents than cellulose for wax polishes. You can also use some mineral oil.

I heat the wax in a double boiler to melt it, then add the solvent, then mix it and let it cool.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the replies lads
I think i'll try some mineral oil as I have a bottle.
I'll let you know the result.
Thanks
Ian.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version