General Category > General Discussion

Red Pen Blank "wood"

(1/3) > >>

julcle:
I have been asked to make a Red Pen by a friend as a stocking filler, he would prefer it to be wood but I have showed him some good acrylic which he would be happy with. I have some Blood Wood which I was thinking of using but how long do people think the colour would remain ? I had thought about using some beech and staining it Red then telling him it's copper beech !! are there any other "Red" woods that could be used ?
Thanks in advance  --  Julian

fuzzyturns:
All naturally red woods will eventually discolour into some shade of brown, with the speed depending on the exposure to sunlight. If you want a stable red wood, then I would suggest to start with sycamore or holly (or a similarly quite blonde wood) and stain it red, and then seal it with polyurethane lacquer. That should be quite stable.

julcle:
Thanks Fuzzy, that's why I thought of stained beech or Acrylic. I have both so will run off some samples for him to choose.  --  Julian

Twisted Trees:
I am not fond of this, but have used it for pens and Xmas decorations....

Start with any neutral'ish wood, use Windsor & Newtons red ink (there is a choice of shades) I usually apply with an airbrush but it is easy to apply with cloth or brush etc. Then put about 10 coats of CA glue on. (run the lathe at about 300rpm, put a dollop on a piece of paper run the paper under the spinning pen blank, spray with activator and repeat with fresh paper) finally buff it up with some Brasso or other mildly abrasive polish.

Any woodgrain will show through, but the colour is stable more stable than most stains, and it will feel like acrylic (because it basically is plastic on the outside)

I am sure other ink products are also suitable, but I have only used Windsor and Newton which I buy from The Range art section.

https://www.therange.co.uk/arts-and-crafts/art-supplies/ink/winsor-and-newton-14ml-drawing-ink#107601

julcle:
Hi Twisted Trees, I have used CA as a pen finish for an few years now and found it to be very durable. We have a Range in town so I may pop in there and see what I can find, thanks for that. I am not sure but were you at the Emma Cook Demo in Bristol a few weeks ago? I think I may have spoken to you if you were.  --  Julian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version