General Category > General Discussion

Help desperately needed

<< < (7/9) > >>

Newbster:

--- Quote from: Ianparkin on December 11, 2019, 05:58:47 PM ---Looks like a 24mm x 3mm pitch from those pics

--- End quote ---

Ian you're absolutely right and that's the 2nd time in a row you've saved my bacon. I sent off the pics to a store and they came back with 19.1 but it is indeed 24mm and I've now put the order on hold.

Either way I need an adapter because according to the store this Lathe is pre 1986 and made before the 16 standardisation.

Based on the new measurement does this sound right to you Ian? 1x8 Female to 3/4x16 Male LA1834

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lathe-Spindle-Adapter-6-Sizes-Fit-Most-Chucks-3-4x10-1x8-1-1-4x8-1-1-2x8-New/291286790724?hash=item43d20bb244:m:m95pIgAImZLMWWVuxadCglg

Twisted Trees:
Dont buy that adaptor just yet!

I strongly suspect you have an imperial thread on that lathe. And it is quite small, so you should be able to buy an insert for most chuck choices. This has the advantage of keeping the chuck close to the support bearing and reduces vibrations.

Take a look here http://www.intertoolsonline.co.uk/nova/wood-turning/chucks-lathe-accessories/nova-chuck-inserts

Bit of measuring and thread counting should get you the right choice. And if you talk to them they will probably allow you to exchange if you order the wrong one.

Newbster:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on December 11, 2019, 09:02:35 PM ---Dont buy that adaptor just yet!

I strongly suspect you have an imperial thread on that lathe. And it is quite small, so you should be able to buy an insert for most chuck choices. This has the advantage of keeping the chuck close to the support bearing and reduces vibrations.

Take a look here http://www.intertoolsonline.co.uk/nova/wood-turning/chucks-lathe-accessories/nova-chuck-inserts

Bit of measuring and thread counting should get you the right choice. And if you talk to them they will probably allow you to exchange if you order the wrong one.

--- End quote ---

many thanks mate. I actually found an old 1"x 8 tpi chuck on ebay that I hope does the job but talk about headaches. I'm beginning to think somebody upstairs doesn't want me to have a hobby  :D

Twisted Trees:
I think some more pictures of the Lathe may help, The viking name hasn't inspired recognition, but quite a few lathes are painted different colours and have brand labels stuck on them but are fundamentally the same machine. Someone on here may recognise the overall lathe under a different brand and the manual may exist online.

Hope the ebay chuck fits, but if not take the 2 prong drive you just removed to an engineering shop and they will tell you exactly what the thread is, and while you are there get them to skim it and remove all the damage done in removing it  :D

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Ian has made a good point, looking at the thread it appears that there is a machined groove to take a grub screw or somesuch. It would be woth further investigation to prevent future damage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version