General Category > General Discussion

Help desperately needed

<< < (9/9)

Newbster:

--- Quote from: Ianparkin on December 12, 2019, 01:06:32 PM ---You really need to be able to measure accurately the spindle
If you can borrow a digital calliper and measure across the peaks of the threads that will give you the thread diameter ..looking at your pic of the thread its likely to be one of the following
Common sizes are 24mm or 25mm or in imperial 1” 7/8” 1 1/8”
Then across as many peaks as you can measure the pitch
So if you measure 5 pitches in 15mm its 3 mm pitch....or if its 5 pitches in 12.7mm it could be 10 tpi
Then you need to measure the register diameter (the plain section after the threads)

As the lathe is made in Sweden it could be a metric form but it may be imperial

--- End quote ---

Thanks Ian, it's a parallel thread @24mm and 8tpi as you accurately pointed out earlier and I had it measured exactly to confirm. The chuck that I got should fit just fine but if doesn't it's not costing a whole lot as it's a bit of a dinosaur but I'm itching to get a few bowls going as i have a clatter of wood sitting in bags ready to be immortalised  ::)

Ianparkin:
it will not be a mixture of metric and imperial
i've never seen such a thing
24mm x 3mm
or 1" and 8tpi

Newbster:

--- Quote from: Ianparkin on December 12, 2019, 06:30:05 PM ---it will not be a mixture of metric and imperial
i've never seen such a thing
24mm x 3mm
or 1" and 8tpi

--- End quote ---

No correction the chuck size is 1" x 8 tpi

Mick D:
Hi looking at the pic,s I think the road you need to go down is (Luna) 24x3tpi the drive gives it away
Hope this helps

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version