General Category > General Discussion

Help desperately needed

<< < (2/9) > >>

Wood spinner:
Is it a left or right hand thread ? ???

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
I am not familiar with this lathe but I would look to see if there is a spindle lock. Although there appears to be a join to the right of the tommy bar that may not be the case, that whole drive assembly could be a threaded sleeve so to may be trying to unscrew something that is solid bar.
The other thing is where the hole in the drive has been elongated you could go in with a drill and drill the hole a tad deeper, that will have the effect of letting the tommy bar seat in properly. Give what we see as the joint a good spray over a few days of plus gas. Finally rather than risk damage to the machine, if all else fails remove the shaft from the machine before heating or beating. Held in a vice closer to where you are working will help prevent the shaft from warping.

Newbster:
You're absolutely right about the solid bar theory, I did think I might be trying to move the unmovable but there's a hole at the join (albeit well scored by now) which leads me to believe that she is meant to come off. I can't see any spindle lock either but instead of drilling that hole deeper and running the risk of hitting thread below would it be better to score the outside of the casing so as to get a pair of stilson jaws on it?
I know that might cause an imbalance by doing so but it's pretty much ready for the bin either way.

Twisted Trees:
Ironically the design of the 2 prong drive is supposed to be a thread protector!

Although it does look as though the back portion is the spindle lock, and separate from the 2 prong drive,  I would be inclined to take of covers to treble check there is no other spindle lock.

I would then dremmel out some of the damage to the tommy bar hole, enough for a drill bit to bite cleanly and drill a bigger diameter to match the ends of the damage BUT being sure whatever drill you use you have a perfectly fitting bar for the new enlarged hole, probably no need to go deeper than the original just true it up. All the planning and execution time should be filled with a liberal daily dose of your choice of corrosion buster, I also would recommend Plus Gas, but whatever you have is the one to use.

Most importantly go for longer bar for extra leverage and stop hitting it! I have a suspicion that unlike most modern (under 100 years old) lathes this one may not have a Morse Taper, and you may find you need this tool.

Hard to say from the photo, but I suspect this lathe spindle in an oddity and doesn't have a Morse Tapper 

simon:
Angle grinder, grind two flats to accept large spanner?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version