General Category > General Discussion

Question , What has 106 pages and 76 adverts ?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Derek:

--- Quote from: RichardS on December 21, 2019, 10:03:26 AM ---And a vast majority of the adverts are for items not necessarily available in the UK.

Richard

--- End quote ---

That is because it is a worldwide read magazine and America is the biggest subscriber to it after the UK.

John D Smith:

Woodturners have been saying this for quite some time it  seems a catch 22 situation if you had no Adverts there would be no Magazine
With not been able to get tools etc advertised I wonder if the Turners in other parts of the World say the same this magazine is published  in quite a number of other Countries. It also gives some of our professional turners a little bit of help financially for the articles they write and these articles are very informative.

Regards John

Les Symonds:

--- Quote from: John D Smith on December 22, 2019, 08:04:18 PM ---
 Woodturners have been saying this for quite some time it  seems a catch 22 situation if you had no Adverts there would be no Magazine
With not been able to get tools etc advertised I wonder if the Turners in other parts of the World say the same this magazine is published  in quite a number of other Countries. It also gives some of our professional turners a little bit of help financially for the articles they write and these articles are very informative.

Regards John

--- End quote ---
Thanks for writing that John, some very succinct insights.
Les

Paul Hannaby:
Another one worth bearing in mind is that without adverts, the magazine would cost more to buy. Personally I don't mind the adverts, I don't have to read them if I don't want to!

Les Symonds:

--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on December 23, 2019, 12:26:33 AM ---Another one worth bearing in mind is that without adverts, the magazine would cost more to buy. Personally I don't mind the adverts, I don't have to read them if I don't want to!

--- End quote ---

...a crucial point, Paul. As one who writes regularly for "Woodturning" I am well aware of the extensive amount of work that goes into the planning and production of a magazine such as this. Articles are planned sometimes 5 or 6 months in advance so as not to clash with other writers' articles of a similar subject. The editorial team juggle a mind-boggling collection of articles, so as to present a well balanced issue each month. Once submitted, articles have to be digitally transferred from the writer's laptop-ramblings into the relevant format, as do the drawings and sketches provided by writers, which have to be painstakingly re-drawn digitally. This all then gets bounced back and forth between the editorial team and each writer until the content is mutually agreed ; it's a painstaking process which pays enormous results - you only have to look at the circulation figures to realise that!
Don't view the frequent advertisements as an annoying intrusion into your reading, but, as Paul says, view them as that content which makes such magazines viable.
I do hope that you don't cancel your subscription, but just be a little more accepting of what it takes to bring a first class publication to you.
Les

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version