General Category > General Discussion

Dust extraction re-route

(1/3) > >>

Paul Hannaby:
Since adding another lathe last year I have been putting off sorting out the dust extraction properly. I got fed up of the mess of lashed up pipes so I thought it was time to sort it out!

I moved the extractor from the middle of the workshop to the far end and routed the pipe to it over the roof joists so it was out of the way wherever possible. It took two days to sort it all out and to move all the other things like likes of wood etc. that were in the way by it now it's up and running.

For all the fixed pipework I used plastic 110mm waste pipes instead of the much more expensive 100mm pipes sold for dust extraction. I added 110mm to 100mm Reducers where it switches to flexible pipes.

One thing I didn't figure out was how I bought an extra five pipe clips and two blast gates and when I had finished, I had five pipe clips one Y joint and and three blast gates left over!  ???

I think the next job is another tool rack and a chuck rack...
I

bodrighywood:
Lovely job, like the idea of jusing the waste pipes as well.

Twisted Trees:
Those left over bits were because your final installation didn't cover something you thought of then forgot!

I am coming to the closing stages of my workshop overhaul that was set as a 6 month project last summer , sort of on time and not too much over budget.

Nice neat job there, have you done anything to remove the risk of static from plastic pipes? I was torn on that, but then used 125mm galvanised pipes as they were cheaper and killed the thought process.

Doug Barratt:
A friend of mine has had a similar layout for many years & it works very well but what he found was over time static build up was resulting in the exterior of the pipe & the surfaces it was attached to to accumulate a build up of dust which considering its clipped to the ceiling was a remarkable amount, it also convinced him that he need to do something as clearly static was being produced.

He asked me to give him a hand sticking a run of aluminium tape the length of the ducting & to connect it to earth, this we did a couple of years ago now & to my surprise, as I was quite sceptical, it has worked & prevented any build up of static with the results that the pipe & ceiling are relatively dust free.

Paul Hannaby:
I was thinking about doing something similar. Not sure it's essential but probably wouldn't hurt to do it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version