General Category > General Discussion

Lathe reinforcement (Denford viceory)

(1/2) > >>

Tgc:
Hello everyone!

I have a lovely Viceroy Denford bowl lathe. Lovely because it has a decent swing height, and I could afford it!
However, the nicely cast headstock is on a welded steel plate frame, which flexes terribly when you mount the nice large blanks the lathe is designed to take.

Has anyone got any tips and tricks to reinforcing a lathe, or this particular lathe? Unlike other lathes that vibrate due to lack of mass, this is a distinct flex in the structure, so it's definitely torsional stiffness that is lacking.

Mike313:
It's hard to advise without photos at least - and I'm no expert anyway - but I did reinforce a workbench which had an angle steel frame by drilling holes in the frame and bolting on 25mm plywood at the rear and both sides. It's absolutely rigid now. Maybe you could do something similar?

Tgc:
Apologies, I thought I had! I missed the pesky size limit, re-sized the photo, it should now work.

I was thinking something similar, but instead thought about riveting sheet steel. (Rivets transfer the load and resist vibration better than bolts).

As the photo shows, there are to gaping holes in the front, one for the door, the other an old control panel. Neither will be helping much!

John Plater:
I have heard of others filling an enclosed base with sand.
ATB John

Docjohn:
Hi Tgc
Could some of the flex be in you plinth? Have you considered trying a concrete slab/block?
Hope you get it sorted
Regards
John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version