General Category > General Discussion

Abrasive top up time

<< < (3/3)

Paul Hannaby:
The trouble with mesh abrasives is you buy more holes than you do abrasive. Great marketing idea though!

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on May 06, 2020, 03:47:16 PM ---The trouble with mesh abrasives is you buy more holes than you do abrasive. Great marketing idea though!

--- End quote ---

True, but like cheese graters and mint aero, sometimes it is the holes that add the value ;)

Twisted Trees:
Well that was quick! arrived today by Hermes next day delivery. First impression is that it is quite thick, and cuts very well, maybe too well I think maybe I should have started at 150grit  not 120grit, too  early to say about how it lasts, literally sanded the handle for the carvers mallet I made myself this afternoon. Have a run of 30 spindles to do next week hopefully, still waiting on dimensions, if that comes in then I will have a realistic test on something I know the performance of Abranet on.

fuzzyturns:
I got my delivery 2 days ago and put it to the test last night. The results are not great. I used them to sand a little beech vase, about 6" tall and 2" diameter. OK, this wood is hard and it's got knots. However, the first 50mm disc of 120grit lost it's teeth within seconds, the second held out a little longer. Sanding the outside with a rotary inertia sander, it took a lot longer to do the rough sanding with 120 than it ought to, and the 320grit disc separated from its backing within 10 seconds of usage.
And to top it all off, when I moved my banjo across the bed, it create scratch marks, so clearly the bonded abrasive had become unbonded and ended up on my lathe bed.

Sorry guys, I am not impressed. I will use it, but will probably not buy again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version