General Category > General Discussion

Charwood W870

(1/5) > >>

Nikos1977:
Hi, I am new to the forum and relatively new to Woodturning. I want to buy a new lathe and wanted to know if anyone would recommend the Charwood W870?

fuzzyturns:
Hmm, not sure I would. Charnwood are not in the top tier of machine producers. The stand looks to be made from sheet metal, which will inevitably vibrate on heavier loads. The outrigger arm on the banjo will show the same issues, and overall I don't think the lathe has enough weight to really support turning off the bed (with the headstock rotated). Plus, I am not a fan of these mechanical speed controls, they only work with the lathe running. You can easily end up in a situation where you start up the lathe on too high a speed and then see it bouncing right across your shop floor.

bodrighywood:
Thoiugh I have heard that Charnwood aremuch better than they used to be you would be better off looking for a decent quality 2nd hand lathe. Have a look on ebay, putin limit of £500 - £650 there are a couple there including a union graduate bowl lathe with variable speed.

Pete

Nikos1977:
Thanks for the advice, Axminster hobby range looks to be on par with the Charnwood range but have seen some negative reviews about them too. I have been looking at 2nd hand Record Power lathes. They are a better tier brand right?

Twisted Trees:
Quick rewind, what are you looking to turn? it makes a difference even if the answer is "I don't know" I know Charnwood have an improving range of machines my neighbour has a Charnwood table saw which is very accurate and a nice piece of kit.

Most turners would prefer more cast iron rather than sheet steel, however I used a Myford Mystro very happily for a lot of years which had a steel construction.

Looking at it the only thing that would put me off recommending it is the mechanical speed change, the capacity of this lathe is quite big, and that is a lot of potential weight that may start a lot quicker than desired!

My normal advice would be go to tool shops on demo days and get your hands on lots before deciding, but that doesn't work!

But first thing to ask is what is it going to be used for? Then see if you  can come up with a list of desirable features.  and work out from that what you can afford and ask people if anyone has one...

My starting point for a list is,
How big a bowl do you want to turn?
How big a spindle do you want to turn?
How small a spindle do you want to turn?
What space do you have to put it in?
What is your budget? (remember a lathe without turning tools is almost as bad as turning tools without a sharpening system)

I can't recommend the Charnwood, but then I wouldn't recommend the  Axminster AC370WL either. I would recommend you look up the chain a bit and go second hand to make the price work out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version