General Category > General Discussion

Charwood W870

<< < (4/5) > >>

Nikos1977:
TT, no worries on the hi-jack it got me thinking about the cost of large blanks, what I have been doing during lockdown is taking up peoples offers of free trees they have felled or have been lying around gardens while people have time on their hands to sort out their gardens. I also know a tree surgeon who sells at a good price.
Back to lathe choice I am now stuck between choosing between the RP CL3/4 and the RP Coronet Herald.

Twisted Trees:
Both get good reviews, I was booked in to have a demo on the Herald but that got cancelled so I have never used one. but the optional bed extension which can be purchased and fitted as and when needed, will help balance between space and occasional requirement. Many demo turners rate the Herald that they get to use when demonstrating. I am sure that some members here will have one and will chip in.

bodrighywood:
I used the coronet at a club demo last year and found the stand pretty flimsy of you want to do any offcentre work mind. The lathe itself was a decent one though.

Pete

Bill21:
I can’t say I like the look of the Herald if I’m honest. Looks like RP are trying too hard on styling rather than function. The motor control looks very much proprietary which means if it goes wrong outside warranty it could be expensive to replace. I also don’t like the look of the tailstock lock. The spec though is good for the price. The next step up is around £1,600 for the Axminster AT406WL or Simon Hope FU-180, both of which charge extra for legs.

The motor control on the Herald looks a bit of a faff compared to other makes.

https://youtu.be/gHd4Do6W1R0

Wood spinner:
Also you need to ask the question before ordering a RP herald lathe

They say 5 years warrantee , I understand this is on everything except the electronics so be careful

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version