Author Topic: Burr in blue  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Burr in blue
« on: May 20, 2020, 05:22:01 PM »
Chestnut burr I have been working on. Stained with spirit stains and a gloss finish the edge is gilded with a chemically treated brass leaf giving the edge a brass copper look some little parts show the natural edge through the guiding adding to the piece

C and C welcome

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Burr in blue
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 06:01:09 PM »
Oh dear, I have a problem. Not at all keen on colouring burr but I really like this. Think I might be developing arboreal schizophrenia.,

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 08:04:15 PM »
Oh dear, I have a problem. Not at all keen on colouring burr but I really like this. Think I might be developing arboreal schizophrenia.,

Pete

no Pete, it's not arboreal schizophrenia, you are just developing some good taste. i'm not a fan of colour either but have to agree with you that this looks fantastic.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 09:22:00 PM »
Thank you both I use to be like that but I do think sometimes it enhances the grain I would never hide it on a burr

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 08:41:38 AM »
Count me in as well ! I don't get colouring but this one is very interesting ! Not too sure about the partial "bead" below the rim though.
ATB and stay safe, John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 09:23:33 AM »
neat and elegant!  Staining that leaves the grain clear is certainly the best colouring option.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 12:30:17 PM »
Thank you guys.

Count me in as well ! I don't get colouring but this one is very interesting ! Not too sure about the partial "bead" below the rim though.
ATB and stay safe, John

The bead is something I thought I would have a go at on this type of turning but in the flesh, I feel it looks better than how the photo portrays it.

I do tend to sit a piece on the table next to the TV before removing any chucking points so that I can look at it. That is pieces which I am trying something different on.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 06:41:26 PM »
Derek,

this piece has no practical purpose - it must be Art.

The colour effects caused by the translucent blue over the burr certainly sits well against the copper foils colours, it really stands out as something that wants to be looked at and admired.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 09:35:45 PM »
Derek,

this piece has no practical purpose - it must be Art.

The colour effects caused by the translucent blue over the burr certainly sits well against the copper foils colours, it really stands out as something that wants to be looked at and admired.

Thank you Bryan I agree no practical use as it will certainly not hold soup ;D ;D ;D