General Category > General Discussion

lathe slowing

(1/2) > >>

dahlia1:
Hi,
I am reasonably new to turning, as I cannot go to my club, I have purchased my own Axminster lathe to
 use at home, I am turning  a 6 in diameter elm bowl for my daughter, I have a blank, when making it circular with a bowl gouge, getting rid of pva with sbowl gouge, I find that the lathe slows down when I apply the gouge, going back to normal speed when I remove the gouge, the speed is set to approx 1000rpm,
I don't remember this happening before.
Is this normal?, Or should I increase the speed
Any help would be appreciated
Peter

malcy:
If it is a new lathe, it is probably a slack drive belt. Open up the headstock and check the belt and tighten it up as much as you can anyway. I assume you are not digging the gouge in too hard. Take just gentle cuts and see if that makes a difference. Hope this helps.

dahlia1:
Thank you for that will check tomorrow

Tim Pettigrew:
The other thing to consider is which set of pulleys the drive belt is operating on (assuming that the spindle of your lathe is driven by a drive belt on one of a set of pulleys).  If the belt is on the fastest pulley set (large pulley on the motor drive axle to small pulley on the spindle axle) then it will run fast (useful for spindle turning) but may not have enough torque (turning force) for turning a bowl blank.

If you change the belt speed setting so that the belt runs on one of the smaller motor spindle axle pulleys and the corresponding larger spindle axle pulley then, although the overall speed is slower, there is a significant increase in torque and it should reduce the stalling that you are experiencing.  If the lathe is equipped with variable speed then on that slower belt setting you can increase the speed of the motor to compensate.

I hope that helps and makes sense.

Tim

Bill21:
It would be helpful to know what model of lathe you have, Axminster sell quite a few different ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version