General Category > General Discussion

Clubs restarting?

<< < (17/29) > >>

John D Smith:
Hi Pete,
           I would agree with you and I understand from our area rep. that is something they may be looking at lets hope there is something  happening with that.
                                               Regards John

Paul Hannaby:
It has always been a condition of the insurance policy that risk assessments are carried out from the H&S angle. I disagree that it has no legal standing. The existence of a risk assessment shows that the club officers have assessed any risks they have identified and it records what actions they either have taken or suggest is taken to mitigate the risk. This may provide evidence that the actions that were carried out (or not) were "as far as is reasonably practicable". There are definitions of sorts as to what is "reasonably practicable" and what isn't.

Equate the above scenario to the risks and mitigating actions relating to Covid and in my opinion, you would be on the right track.

It was put to me by an insurance agent that for anyone to bring a successful claim against the policy holder, they would need to prove negligence. Failing to take adequate precautions could undoubtedly be construed as negligent but taking the right course of action in identifying, assessing and minimising risks for any scenario has to be the best defence against any allegation of negligence.

Yes, you are correct that the AWGB are unable to offer advice on the specifics of any insurance policy. However, we are currently working on a list of common questions and answers (from the insurers) which may help but if you want further clarification, the insurers are the people to ask.

Bill21:
Covid-19 has certainly added unwanted complication to what should normally be fairly simple safety considerations for woodturning clubs. We normally only need to think about things like ensuring members don’t get hit by flying pieces of wood and keeping the fire exits clear.

Wooddust:
In reality, anybody wishing to sue a club for catching covid whilst attending a meeting would have to prove they actually caught it at the meeting.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't look (and document) at the risks a meeting may have, in regards to COVID.

turningal:

--- Quote from: Wooddust on March 24, 2021, 11:49:22 PM ---In reality, anybody wishing to sue a club for catching covid whilst attending a meeting would have to prove they actually caught it at the meeting.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't look (and document) at the risks a meeting may have, in regards to COVID.

--- End quote ---
As the chairman of a local club,I think  the committee would also need to prove that they had taken all reasonable steps to ensure that members would not catch COVID 19. Perhaps some sort of disclaimer in addition to documenting what steps the committee had taken?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version