General Category > General Discussion

Plagiarism

<< < (2/8) > >>

Paul Hannaby:
There are those out there who copy others work, perhaps through ignorance or lack of their own creativity or just as a learning exercise. As Mark says, it becomes a problem when the copies impact on the sales of the originator of that "product".

My understanding is that you can copyright a design (and you don't have to register it to do so, you just need to prove you did it first if there is a dispute!) but you can't copyright a technique so if someone uses your new technique to make something else, they aren't falling foul of copyright.

Also worth bearing in mind is that in some instances, two different people can arrive at two similar looking objects by using substantially different techniques and sometimes with no knowledge of the other.

It has also been said that there is very little which is truly new, much has been done somewhere before by someone. How many times in recent years have you seen another social media sensation saying they have "invented" a colouring process which has already been around for decades. Some of these people who claim to be originators of something new aren't always correct.

Bill21:
With so many replies in such a short time shows this is a hot topic so it’s good to talk about it.

Given the hundreds or even possibly thousands of years that wood lathes have been in use I find it extremely unlikely that anyone in recent years has come up with a new shape of anything, be it a Bowl, a Platter or a Goblet. So when it comes to shape at least I don’t think any Turner need feel obliged to credit anyone.

Other techniques would need to be broken down to make a judgment though I suppose.

michaelb:
Think of all the copies of paintings by famous artists have been made is it Plagiarism.. it's admiration of the work, the same goes for turning, Viking bowl by Nick Agar or Glen Lucas the hint is in the name Viking over 1000 years ago, . If someone believes someone has copied they should be thankful that they are being admired, Mona Lisa worth millions my effort 2/6p  .  (you are all old enough to know half a crown)

bodrighywood:
Last night we noticed that another professional turner had posted a piece on which there was a design that could have almost  been transferred from Mo's original one. Whilst it is feasible that two people came up with exactly the same style and design it is not likely especially as it happenned within a couple of months of Mo's original post. In light of this every photo we now post will state on it that design and copyright belongs to Bodrighy Wood. Whilst the copyright is difficult to enforce the design right aspect is actually fairly simple and as we have had experience with it in the furniture industry over the years we are aware of what it entails. Sad, as all that we would ask for is acknowlegment of the source of inspiration. I have no intention of mentioning names etc so don't ask. If I seem a tad annoyed maybe it's because I would expect other professionals to have some moral and ethical courtesy in these matters as both they and we are trying to earn a living. This is, IMHO, plagiarism.
In answer to Michael. the plagiarism aspect applies when someone (e.g. Nicks viking bowls) develops a design that is original. The fact that he calls it a viking bowl is irrelevant. It was his design, developed using various techniques etc researched and perfected by him and therefore he does legally have design rights to it.

Pete

RichardS:
According to the dictionary Plagiarism refers to the copying of the written word and has no relevance to the copying of works of Art.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version