General Category > General Discussion

Noob needs help!

<< < (6/10) > >>

yogavenger:
Just outside Leicester, on the way to Loughborough.

John D Smith:

Hi Matt,
            The nearest AWGB club to Loughborough is Derwent Woodturners which is 22 miles they meet in Swadlingcote

Regards John

yogavenger:
Thanks, John. Yes, Swad is just a little too far. That said, I do work out that way, which cuts the distance down a bit. (But am furloughed atm!).  :) Hence having time to use the lathe! (Oh, the irony).

fuzzyturns:

--- Quote from: John D Smith on July 06, 2020, 08:41:03 PM ---
 Hi Matt,
            Where in the midlands are you located there are quite a few Clubs around all though because of the current situation they are not meeting at the moment.
                                                     Regards John

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: John D Smith on July 06, 2020, 08:41:03 PM ---
 Hi Matt,
            Where in the midlands are you located there are quite a few Clubs around all though because of the current situation they are not meeting at the moment.
                                                     Regards John

--- End quote ---

Hi Matt, this particular set is not really any good for you, believe me. It has 2 spindle roughing gouges (and you only really need one), several scrapers (which really should be your last resort), one spindle gouge and no bowl gouges. And for this price it is very unlikely to be good value for money. If you want a decent starter kit, this would be a much better choice :https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-craft-woodturning-tool-set-106153. This was my first kit when I started and it has served me well over the years.
Having said that, unfortunately when it comes to tools, the old saying holds: buy cheap and you'll buy twice. Most of my "go-to" tools are now out of the Crown Cryo range, and they are absolutely worth the money. Better to have fewer tools, but good ones, and learn how to use them.

julcle:
Hi Matt  --  I have this starter set from Axminster, it was bought when I first started but haven't used any of them for a while as my go to tools are mostly Ashley Isles. They are all HSS and served me well until I was able to get the tools that I wanted. I could let them go if the price was right. PM me if they may be of interest.   Julian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version