General Category > General Discussion

Noob needs help!

<< < (2/10) > >>

Wood spinner:
What you have the motor end of the lathe is a 4 prong drive centre

With most lathe's you also have a hollow drive spindle that you use a knock out bar to remove the 4 prong drive , The spindle normally has a thread for the chuck to screw onto , If you look at the end of the motor unit does it have a hole ? and as the photo of the 4 prong drive is very dark , Can you see a thread behind the 4 prong drive ? A lighter photo of the prong drive and the left hand end of the motor unit would be better

yogavenger:
Yeah, that was what I was looking for, but I can't see one – unless it's in the motor casing?

If not (this is an old lathe) is it possible to do something, even with the fixed prong?

fuzzyturns:
I think this is a 4 prong drive with an internal thread, so in order to get it off you will have to lock the spindle and then use a large spanner to loosen the grip. This will most likely take a bit of force. Once the 4 prong drive is off, you should be able to mount the chuck.
For small bowls on a lathe like this you will probably start out with the screw chuck shown in one photo. Drill a hole the size of the solid part of the screw in the centre of the blank, mount the screw chuck, then mount the blank onto the screw and bring up your tail stock (for safety), then shape the outside including forming a tenon to fit your chuck jaws. Then take the bowl off the screw chuck, mount into jaws and turn the inside. When finished, make yourself a large wooden disc that can be mounted either directly onto the drive spindle (using a suitable faceplate bought from a supplier or by providing either a tenon or a recess that can be held in your chuck jaws) and reverse the bowl. Best to cover this plate with some non-slip matting (from the pound shop), bring up the tail stock and then finish the foot of the bowl.

This is just one method, there are others, but it's most likely the easiest way to get to a finished bowl.

yogavenger:
Ah, okay. That sounds hopeful – and helpful, thx. I shall investigate further…

yogavenger:
LOL, thank you: Spot on advice! Opened the belt compartment and grabbed the belt wheel and the spindle on the outside, then with a bit of force, the bit unscrewed!

Rather excited now I can use the plate and/or chuck! I shall take it easy and figure out how to go forward. Probably need to sharpen my tools first.

Thank you – very excited to have a go now! (safely, of course).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version