General Category > General Discussion

Shell auger extension

(1/3) > >>

Lazurus:
I have the standard 5/16 shell auger which is too short to use to its capacity on the VB36 has anyone ever had one of these extended. I have a welder but concerned about keeping it concentric if I simply welded an extension shaft on. Suggestions anyone?

Paul Hannaby:
I have one which is in several sections which screw together. You could do something similar by either modifying one you already have or getting one of those. You could then extend them to anything you want.

BrianH:
Having never tried anything like this I wonder if its a realistic idea to use the lathe itself to hold the auger and its potential extension in  line ready for welding. the headstock end is a straightforward 'through chuck' situation. Perhaps a wooden guide at each end of the tailstock quill would keep the other piece aligned. Dont forget to protect the bed from spatter.
Please let us know what you decide and its success.....or otherwise!
Brian

Lazurus:

--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on July 22, 2020, 05:11:39 PM ---I have one which is in several sections which screw together. You could do something similar by either modifying one you already have or getting one of those. You could then extend them to anything you want.

--- End quote ---

Paul,

Have you a make or supplier please as this may solve the issue?

Cheers

Stuart

Paul Hannaby:
The one I have says "Luna - made in Sweden" on the handle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version