General Category > General Discussion

Eucalyptus

(1/3) > >>

Sandy:
Hi all,

What's Eucalyptus like for turning?

I've an opportunity with a tree that was planted as a sapling from a garden centre in the UK so I'm assuming it's European Eucalyptus?  From write-ups I've read about it, mainly it's good to turn but also very liable to heavy splitting / cracking sorter than seal the ends and store I would need to rough it out very soon after felling.

At a guess the tree is about 35-40ft tall, 60inch girth at the base and is being felled very soon so there's a decent amount of wood there.

I'll need to decide what if any is worth having, i.e. the trunk, the trunk and also the branch wood maybe 8 inches diameter upwards, or none of it so your combined knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Martin Lawrence:

Lovely to turn, have tissues handy as it makes your nose run.

Cheers Martin.

bodrighywood:
Every piece I have turned has twisted as I turn it Really really wet and warpslike you wouldn';t believe.That's the one you find in gardens in the UK. Austraian stuff is great. As gfar as I am aware there are only the two types commin to the  UK but I personally wouldn't bother with either. 

Pete

John Plater:
Yes to the above. Turns well, the workshop smells great for a couple of days ! Warps and stains like crazy, often moving before the piece can be taken off of the machine. The grain can be a bit bland. The pieces I have made have not sold particularly well so, on balance, great for making shavings rather than finished pieces.
ATB John

fuzzyturns:
Personally I wouldn't bother. The wood is very bland and not a particularly nice colour either. Add in all the warping and cracking, and unless you're mainly out to make some shavings, it's not worth the bother.

Having said that, it makes excellent firewood. Burns hot and long, with a nice smell. But you'd have to dry it first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version