General Category > General Discussion

Sorby/ Axminster toolposts

<< < (2/3) > >>

Duncan A:
The Axi thread is coarser than Sorby but apparently not metric - perhaps an imperial thread??

But why buy into a system other than to save space? If I was looking for round toolrests, I'd consider the Stiles and Bates welded ones:
https://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/s-b-round-bar-tool-rests-655.php

They can't unscrew themselves and don't need constant unscrewing/screwing when changing toolrests. Just my view, and OP no doubt knows what he wants and why he wants it.

Duncan

Bill21:
I think it’s easier for the manufacturers!  ;D  I made a couple of these for myself with no intention of ever swapping the heads over. I rarely use them though, I much prefer conventional rests.

icewoodturning:
Had confirmation today from Axminster that their toolposts are M12 x 1.25 as well.

Bill21:

--- Quote from: icewoodturning on September 28, 2020, 08:46:13 PM ---Had confirmation today from Axminster that their toolposts are M12 x 1.25 as well.

--- End quote ---

That’s interesting. Perhaps they have changed the threads at some point? Or maybe the length of the thread is different?

fuzzyturns:
M12 x 1.25 is a standard ISO thread, it's just not very common. Most likely this was chosen over the more common M12 x 1.75 because it provides better grip at the expense of less strength. Clearly the one thing you wouldn't want is for the top to get loose when you're in the middle of some turning.

Standardisation has always been a contentious issue. Obviously customers want it, but for suppliers it opens the door to all sorts of issues (like people starting a debate with a lathe manufacturer where in reality the issue is with the maker of the chuck). And by the way: The only three countries who have never signed up to the metric system are Myanmar, Liberia and the United States, and that's one of the main reasons many commonly used standards in the anglophile world are still in imperial measurements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version