General Category > General Discussion

SIP lathes

<< < (2/3) > >>

Gav Eades:
After looking at reviews I'm going to save some more cash and go with either axminster or hope.

Thanks for the reply

Bill21:
I had an Axminster Reeves Drive lathe years ago and it worked fine but it’s not as nice to use as my current Axminster inverter drive lathe. Big difference in price though!

Gav Eades:
Yeah it looks like I'll have to get my saving head on and persevere with my lathe.
Cheers

Bill21:
The big mistake I first made was to buy the biggest lathe I could afford, an Axminster Reeves Drive model. In the end it took up so much space I ended up stripping it down to give me space to do other stuff. My current lathe is an Axminster AT1416VS which is really nice and can swing a 14” blank which is great for a small lathe. The problem is it’s a bit short at times between centres. You can buy an extension for it but it’s ridiculously long in my opinion and very expensive. My ideal lathe if I could justify the expense would be the Simon Hope Midi Pro with the extension, (fitted only when needed).

https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/lathes-and-chucks/midi-pro-woodturning-lathe/201/ks-midi-pro-woodturning-lathe?c=48

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: Gav Eades on October 07, 2020, 10:36:47 AM ---Yeah it looks like I'll have to get my saving head on and persevere with my lathe.
Cheers

--- End quote ---

That is an excellent plan, the more you turn the more you will know what you want from a lathe, what will fit in comfortably into your workshop etc. then buy, buy the best lathe to meet your needs, which will reduce the need to replace it down the line.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version