General Category > General Discussion

Wood ID PLEASE

<< < (3/4) > >>

John Plater:
Dare I make another suggestion ? The bark looks very similar to judas tree (cercis silliquastrum) I have turned. The size of the logs would be quite typical too. Also have seen the discolouration which appears to run through the sapwood. There is also a close relative of cercis with a similar bark whose name cannot be brought to mind at the moment, there is one growing near to me.
ATB John

John Plater:
Stirred the brain cell, Katsura (Cercidiphyllum japonicum) is the one I could not remember. Have seen it worked by another but have not worked it myself. Looks similar to the photographs.
ATB John

Tim Pettigrew:

--- Quote from: seventhdevil on November 30, 2020, 10:13:52 PM ---
Tim the log you have there has a spongy soft pith which your nail will easily gouge out but robinia is rock hard all the way.

i'm not 100% sure it is cotinus as it's been a long time since i turned it and to be honest the sapwood was much brighter.

--- End quote ---

Your'e absolutely right about the pith Steve, it's very soft.  Thanks also to John P, but I'm not convinced it's Katsura or Judas tree.  Will post a photo of a moistened fine sanded end-grain sample later today.

seventhdevil:
Tim, do you have a black light???

if you can get hold of one see if the wood fluoresces under it.

starting to think it's Pistachia chinensis.

Tim Pettigrew:
Many thanks for your expertise Steve.  Certainly looks like the most likely option.

Cheers

Tim :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version