General Category > General Discussion

Spalted Beech, how to stop it rotting further

(1/4) > >>

808raver:
Hi, my first post so please be understanding if I'm asking the obvious.
I have recently befriended a tree surgeon who has been kind enough to give me the wood he has been sawing down.
This is my first green wood :) and it's wonderful to turn but he has given me some spalted beech, it's stable but I have noticed some white fur growing, I don't have anywhere inside to keep it out of the rain, nor do I think that would be a good idea because of checking. Should I not worry about it and as it slowly dries the fungus will die without ruining the wood or should I take some sort of action to prevent it going any further? and if so what action would members recommend?
Thank you in advance

Wood spinner:
Is it trunk , Branch , planks ?

808raver:
It's a trunk cut into many pieces, one side has spalting and the other is untouched. The spalting isn't soft just has a nice pattern but fur is growing on the end grain. I turned a mallet and kept it indoors but still it grew white fur so I covered it in beeswax polish but I couldn't do that to all the logs. Thanks for the reply.

Paul Hannaby:
You can paint the wood with a borax solution to stop the mould growing. Once the wood is dry, the fungus won't grow in it anyway.

808raver:
Thank you :) I have looked up Borax in the UK and it is available but it's not in stores, I'm sure Borax is a natural substance ( Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate) whereas we can use (Sodium Carbonate Decahydrate) ie Soda Crystals?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version