General Category > General Discussion

Creep Resistant glue

(1/2) > >>

Bill21:
I’ve used Titebond 3 for woodturning glue ups but it’s no good. The joint creeps and you can feel it after a few days or weeks.

Cascamite works but I’ve had a bad batch and there are some complaints going around about it.

I’ve just seen this though and wondered if anyone’s used it for segmented turning?

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/502-Weatherproof-Wood-Adhesive-v1.1.pdf

It says it’s “creep resistant” which few liquid adhesives claim to be.

John Plater:
However creep resistant a glue claims to be it is still two or more pieces of wood stuck together which may well expand, shrink or distort at different rates leaving a glue line which might be felt. That is the joy of working with a natural resource  :)
ATB John

Bill21:

--- Quote from: John Plater on February 03, 2021, 12:14:59 PM ---However creep resistant a glue claims to be it is still two or more pieces of wood stuck together which may well expand, shrink or distort at different rates leaving a glue line which might be felt. That is the joy of working with a natural resource  :)
ATB John

--- End quote ---

I’ve not had this problem with Cascamite though, joints have stayed good.
It’s just that it’s a faff having to mix it up each time and my last batch was bad.

bodrighywood:
I was renovating some chairs and the glue used was either cascamite or something like it. The wood had moved but the joint remained solid, the wood split on one side of the stretcher.

Pete

jay:
   All Titebond 's  normal ,  2 and 3 are PVA 's modifiied to increase water resistance and colder working  temperatures
  but like all PVA , wll creep . Plastic resin, Urea Formaldehyde and Epoxy are creep resistant 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version