General Category > General Discussion

wadkin RU lathe

<< < (6/7) > >>

Bill21:
I think Axminster used to make a faceplate to fit one of their revolving centres. What size is the MT in the Wadkin Tailstock though? I’ve got the OneWay live centre and it’s very good. It’s also got a threaded nose so you could fit a faceplate to that. The thread is I think 3/4” UNC. They are available in 1, 2 and 3 MT. I got mine from the Toolpost so don’t know where you’d get one now though.

Roger Groom:
Short for hundredweights. Or 112 pounds, or 8 stone etc etc. Dont you just love the old terms!!!!!!

BrianH:
A salutary tale

In my 40's I dreamed of making big projects on a huge lathe
In my 50's I achieved my dream but slowly came to the realisation that hefting the weight of the logs surrounding those big projects wasn't  quite the fun I had envisaged.
In my 60's I began to notice that the big lathe's tailstock was putting on weight and had to stay in situ, even when it was in the way of me hollowing the, now reduced in size, projects.
Now. in my 70's, I make smaller, hopefully more elegant, pieces and dream of having a 'Normal' sized lathe.
Brian

Bill21:
I downsized lathe wise some years ago as I didn’t have the space for a large lathe any longer. A couple of times though I found the bed on my new machine wasn't quite long enough so I’ve now bought a short extension for it. I think I’ve hit the sweet spot.

stocksy27:
well I've still not got it wired up yet, but do have a 7.5kw inverter to go with it now purely for safety reason, the original electronics are too old to add any sort of safety switches to, so will keep all the original in place and mount the VFD out of sight but does mean I can add e stops both ends and a e stop pull wire the entire length of the bed, will still use gearbox for speed selection, currently still using the union jubilee and the cl4 for now as I can't seem to sell either, also had a Wadkin RS8 arrive as I won the bid but forgot I was bidding on it so this will be a restoration project

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version