General Category > General Discussion

Illusionary basketware

<< < (2/3) > >>

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on March 07, 2021, 02:22:17 PM ---Much will depend on the type of colourant used but I’ve found Pyrography won’t eliminate wood stain spreading completely, although it does help.

--- End quote ---

Which stain spreads through the burn Bill? Not had a [rob;em with water or oil based colourants over the past 5 years so curious as to which managed to leach.

Pete

Bill21:

--- Quote from: bodrighywood on March 07, 2021, 02:53:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bill21 on March 07, 2021, 02:22:17 PM ---Much will depend on the type of colourant used but I’ve found Pyrography won’t eliminate wood stain spreading completely, although it does help.

--- End quote ---

Which stain spreads through the burn Bill? Not had a [rob;em with water or oil based colourants over the past 5 years so curious as to which managed to leach.

Pete

--- End quote ---

It was one of the standard spirit stains, probably Ronseal or similar. I Pyrographed a map of the world on a wooden sphere then very carefully coloured in the land masses. Some of the stain went under the Pyrographed areas.  :(  If I did it again I’d try something thicker to stop it soaking in so much.

BrianH:
Ive never had stain bleed past a burn line but I wonder if, when we burn side grain we 'Cauterise' the ends whereas if Bills globe had exposed end grain perhaps the stain was wicked down, beneath the burnt area, before finding its way back to the surface via the adjacent grain?
Brian

bodrighywood:
Could be. All the pyror work Mo & I do is on side grain. Also usually wood such as sycamore, beech, loime etc so little chance of the seepage. The end bgrain theory makes sense.

pete

turningal:
Hi Folks
Thanks for your replies, I will be using Fabre castell Pitt pens, which are acid free, waterproof ,Indian ink to colour the work, and burning in all lines, however my main concern is the finish after all colouring has been done, spray perhaps but what base would you suggest, acrylic or cellulose? I’ve no experience in spray finishes but I’m guessing that in this instance it will be my only choice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version