General Category > General Discussion

Chuck wobble

<< < (2/3) > >>

skelly369:
Here are some pictures for clarity. The first pic is the spindle bare, the second is showing the locking nut i'm referring too which i've now found out is in actual fact for removing the drive centre, the third pic shows the nut with a faceplate (the one included with the lathe) and the fourth showing the faceplate with no nut. When i turn on the lathe with just the faceplate (pic 4) it seems to run smoothly but when i turn on with the nut aswell (pic 3) there is some unsteadiness. (I'm not sure if this is because the nut is not meant for this purpose and so is not accurate enough so wobble occurs or the spindle is out and being further away would cause the wobble?) Now for the chuck which when threaded all the way tightens up against the body of the lathe like i mentioned before and wont rotate, so with the chuck threaded on with the nut threaded on too allows the spindle to rotate but there is wobble. My question now would be would this nut act in the same way your spacer does or is it not accurate enough?

skelly369:
And here is the chuck with and without the nut

Dancie:
Isn't Chuck Wobble a woodturner in the states ?  ;D

Valkrider:
It looks to me that the adapter from Rutlands is too large in diameter. Find a local machine shop to turn it down in diameter for you so that it fits inside the bearing on the headstock. It needs to be no larger in diameter that the mating surface (see attached image).

The faceplate does not seem to be the correct one for this lathe as it won't seat against that mating surface.

John D Smith:

I would say Colin (Valkrider) is spot on Regards John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version