General Category > General Discussion

Chuck Hubs - views please

<< < (3/6) > >>

Dancie:
Hello everyone, many thanks for all the replies, oddly some sound slightly irritated by my question  :) My chucks are in a drawer and I need that drawer for something else so I guess I'll make another shelf, the dowel idea is a good one though - no one seems to think the chuck hubs are the best idea since bread was sliced, the crossed thread did cross my mind and yes they are blooming expensive  - stay safe everyone - all the best.

bodrighywood:
Personally I wasn't ittitated so much as bewildered by these. I had never heard of them, had to look them up and then couldn't understand why anyone would spend good money on something that just makes extra work. So many 'gadgets' that it would be impossible to live withlut out there LOL.

Pete

Bill21:
Apologies if it came over wrong, I wasn’t irritated either. Slightly confused why anyone would think they are a good idea though, irrespective of price. ;D I think a shelf at a slight angle with some dowels fitted would be a better idea.
Second picture down looks pretty good although the shelf could be narrower.
https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=84378

Sandy:
Hi Dancie,

Apologies if I came across negative.  I've just corrected my post as I checked and realised it was 3/4" dowel, not 1/2", that I used.  My lathe spindle  is M33 thread and my latest chuck is a heavy SK114, but isn't too heavy for the dowel solution, especially with the upward angled dowels, if you decide to go that route. 

Philip Green:
Personally, I do not see the point in spending money on a chuck storage solution when it is easy enough to do it yourself. Suggestions of using dowels or threaded studding will do the job very well.

For a more sophisticating solution, have a look at Mike Waldt's youtube videos. His system is the dog's whatsits and provides storage for multiple chucks as well as jaw sets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version