General Category > General Discussion

Chuck Hubs - views please

<< < (5/6) > >>

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: John on March 15, 2021, 12:53:35 PM ---I use a chuck hub mounted sideways on a block of wood which is the clamped to the bench. This gives me an extra work station when turning not needed such as forming hollow barley twists and carving.
John

--- End quote ---

Both this and also mounted to a post that fits the banjo are good uses for the chuck hub. allows you to run your piece through 90° to work on it while keeping the chuck position solid.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
I put up a dedicated shelf for all of my chucks, the chucks are stored on any flat surface I can find in the workshop but the chuck shelf comes in handy for everything else!!

GordonSkipper:
The only valid use for these, as far as I am concerned, is when using the chuck to hold a workpiece when working on it,  off the lathe i.e. carving, piercing etc. The hub is mounted horizontally so it helps visualise your work in its upright position. This function is mentioned by Axminster but hasn't been raised in this post so far. It also means that since  the workpiece and chuck are removed as one, thet can be put back on the lathe without any worriies of misalignment
Using  them just for storage is unnecessary expenditure and there are much more cost effective options, as already mentioned by others.

Bill21:

--- Quote from: John on March 15, 2021, 12:53:35 PM ---I use a chuck hub mounted sideways on a block of wood which is the clamped to the bench. This gives me an extra work station when turning not needed such as forming hollow barley twists and carving.
John

--- End quote ---

Yes, that’s a good idea John.

These seem to be less than half the price of the Axminster ones? No idea of postage though.

https://www.glennlucaswoodturning.com/product/hub-storage-for-chuck-and-faceplate/

Bill21:
As luck would have it I have a project that requires some additional work after turning. I’d like it to be fairly accurate and started thinking about possible jigs and then this thread popped into my head so I’ve just bought one of these Chuck hubs.  ;D
Thanks then to the OP for bringing this topic up or I may not have thought of it!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version