General Category > General Discussion

Bowl Turning

<< < (2/6) > >>

Mark Hancock:

--- Quote from: Woodcrafts on June 16, 2021, 08:13:48 AM ---Interesting question Mark. For most of my bowls I use a 3/8" or 1/2" traditional bowl gouge (Ashley Iles) and I've got one groound at a steep angle for deeper bowls. It the shape is heading towards a vase i.e much deeper,  I use a Woodcut Proforme, And I will admit to occasionallly using a curved scraper in shear mode for knarly grain. All rather traditional but that's how my father and other turners I admire, have done it, which works for me.

--- End quote ---
Thank you. You're using exactly what I would have expected.
Mark

Mark Hancock:

--- Quote from: bodrighywood on June 16, 2021, 10:51:30 AM ---I am not all that keen on bowl gouges so predominantlyy use a hook tool and spindle gouges. (obviously not a roughing goiuge LOL) Small bols I also use a ring tool

Pete

--- End quote ---
Pete
Not an answer I was expecting  ;D So I suspect you generally don't use prepared bowl blanks?
Mark

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: Mark Hancock on June 16, 2021, 10:59:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: bodrighywood on June 16, 2021, 10:51:30 AM ---I am not all that keen on bowl gouges so predominantlyy use a hook tool and spindle gouges. (obviously not a roughing goiuge LOL) Small bols I also use a ring tool

Pete

--- End quote ---
Pete
Not an answer I was expecting  ;D So I suspect you generally don't use prepared bowl blanks?
Mark

--- End quote ---

Most of my bowls are made from either odd wood I get from tree surgeons or ones I cut from sycamore planks I have to buy to make for Mo's pyro and art work. I learned to turn proginally with skews and scrapers (bowl gouges were a new fad in the 60's LOL) and then did a lot lof spindle work so didn't bother with bowl gouges much. I do use them on really big or off centre pieces as they are much stronger but not often on bowls less than about 12"

Pete

Bill21:
I made my own version of this:

https://www.huntertoolseurope.com/products/number-3-hunter-hercules-no-handle

And it works great on synthetics, and very easy to use. Actually I should try it on plain wood and see how if fares.  ;D

David Buskell:
Bill21,

I can answer that as I have a #3 Hercules. It's a great tool and will work well on end grain plus is equally good on side grain . You can also use the bevel edge, for example for bowls. Cutter just needs a slight twist and you have a new edge.

Like all Hunter Tools, it cuts not scrapes.

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version