General Category > General Discussion

Does it exist?

(1/4) > >>

V8-108:
Hi everyone, newbie to both the forum and the hobby here. I have long admired some turned items I was given many years ago and have always harboured a desire to have a go myself. I have now taken the plunge and have a couple of basic/generic lathes which, in reality, I ought to be happy with at the stage I'm at within the hobby (complete beginner right at the start of the journey!) but I always want something better which may (or may not!) help me be a bit better.
I'm looking for something to "future proof" myself to an extent, that will take me to a better level without having to upgrade again with some pretty specific features after the research I have done so far.
I think my requirements are digital variable speed, cast bed, 2MT head and tail stocks, hand wheel on tail stock and either a swivel head stock or and outboard turning capacity. Not too worried about length as my current interest is in bowl type turning, though the ability to add a bed extension at a later date would be a good option. I want all of this at a budget price.....am I dreaming or does something exist that fits my bill......and if it does, what is it likely to cost me in the real world?
Thanks in advance

Neil

Bill21:
Have a look at Hope Lathes Neil.

https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/lathes/ks-lathes/

Or the Axminster equivalents?

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Neil welcome to the craft that is magic (it makes all your money dissapear...just like that!) I would say that it is difficult to future proof yourself with tools and machines as there are always new bits and pieces coming on the market. What I would say is rather than trying to future proof  your lathe how about future proffing your skills? Go on some courses , get some lessons from those that know what they are on about and that will then leave you better placed to understand what it is you are after. Turning bowls now but in a few months time that could all change. So I would say upskill before upgrading so that you approach it from an educated viewpoint. And all these rotating headstocks and variable speeds  are fine but just think about what the craftsmen of old used to make, and they made it using old fashioned tools and machinery but bucket loads of skill.

V8-108:
That's a fair point BHT and one that I use when playing golf.....better clubs are not going to make me Tiger Woods, I'm aware of that! I suppose some of the things I'm looking for are mainly for convenience - changing speed with a knob as opposed to moving the belt and turning the head stock just makes access easier on the inside of bowls.....but you are correct I guess - neither are absolutely necessary.
I think you're right, and I should probably learn to live by my own mantra (used on the golf course) "learn to use what you've got".....doesn't stop me looking though!! ;D ;D

BrianH:
Well said BHT. Far too many of us woodies are falling for the idea you can somehow buy... or bypass!... the skill requirement by throwing money around. And there is a whole industry out there to help with the convincing. If I ruled the woodyverse no-one would be allowed a chuck or a grinding jig for the first 18months.... and, I believe, their long term turning abilities would improve far quicker because of it.
Put your wallet away, Neil, and set to practice, practice and then practice some more. Woodyturning, in common with many skills, is actually 5% knowledge, 3% gear and 90% experience (the last 2% is swear words, of course!).
Why not let us know where you are based so that other shavings addicts can offer to take you under their wing?
All the best
Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version