Author Topic: Does it exist?  (Read 2369 times)

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: Does it exist?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 12:22:47 PM »
Hi Neil,  I have just put an ad for a JET 1642 Lath in the for sale section. You may wish to check it out.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline V8-108

• iron
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2021, 09:23:08 PM »
Thanks all for your input....I have a update! I'm sure many of you will be disappointed to hear that I have indeed made a new purchase. I am now the owner of a Fox F46-255, but I have to say it was just a set of circumstances that lead to it's purchase - it was not far from me and the price was right!
I does feature many of the things I listed that I wanted (cast bed, variable speed (Reeves drive) rotating headstock etc) and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. I know it isn't going to turn me into a good turner, but I'm already happier and slightly more confident on the new machine. I have taken note of what was suggested, and I'm sure some tuition wouldn't go amiss and joining the local club would almost certainly be a good move (initial contact has been made!)
I know many of you thought I should start to hone my skills with only the basics (and who am I to argue?) but I do feel that the extra confidence on this new machine is a great start to my wood turning journey.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2021, 11:58:52 PM »
Be aware that Reeves drives need periodic maintenance. On my old one I think you had to undo four screws to remove the headstock cover. Once removed you’ll need to clean out any wood dust that has got in there and then lubricate the pulleys etc. This is a page from the Axminster version. The pulleys break quite regularly on these type of machines if you don’t maintain them properly.

Offline V8-108

• iron
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2021, 08:22:01 AM »
Thanks for that Bill, I was aware that the Reeves drive required regular maintenance.....that page will, I'm sure, be of help.