Author Topic: Testing Testing 1 2 3  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Testing Testing 1 2 3
« on: July 30, 2021, 10:10:50 AM »
Hello , Is anyone out there ?

Not much activity on the AWGB web site

I'm packing up my turning workshop due to a pending home move , So no turning for me for a while now

What are you ALL up to ?

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
Re: Testing Testing 1 2 3
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 10:14:00 AM »
Have you checked out the News section on the front page of the website? There are 3 recent posts on there since the cancellation of this years seminar?

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 12:08:32 PM »
Have you checked out the News section on the front page of the website? There are 3 recent posts on there since the cancellation of this years seminar?

Nothing new showing for me on the news page ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 01:54:31 PM »
Busy making ear ring stands, Bpds, and Christmas decorations for shows. Nearest I get to production work

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 06:42:28 PM »
Nothing new showing for me on the news page ?

The first of these was posted on the 11th July and the last  on 27th July.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 08:55:05 AM »
I did have a look at this and was amazed that they were allowed to be sold in this country in the first place. But if you are a bit of an anorak like me you will look at every listing on that site and see further down that this type of cutter has been recalled previously tooInteresting reading and well done whoever picked this up.It might allow some of our members to retain the ability of counting to ten on their fingers.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 11:13:39 PM »
But surely, said the devils advocate, every tool we, or anyone else, uses can be employed unwisely and result in injury. Perhaps we should ban the sale of saws, scissors or even spatulas! Its education and acceptance of personal responsibility that's required.
Brian

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 05:57:54 AM »
The point here is that chainsaws have a number of safety features to make them safer. The same safety features don't exist on angle grinders so using cutters based on chainsaw chain on an angle grinder introduces unacceptable hazards.
If you apply the darwinian principle, it would no doubt weed out those unwitting users but I think you have to agree having safety legislation has its benefits to the wider population.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 09:42:37 AM »
But Paul how can you, I or Boris decide what is an unacceptable hazard to Joe Soap down the road. He might have knowledge we dont  have and protective gear we didn't know existed.. or not, which is down to him. Of course legislation is needed to give us all confidence that our tools are well made and fit for purpose but not whether, how or if they should be used. As I said before education and acceptance of personal  responsibility for our own safety must be far more valuable than relying on someone else's opinion, based on, at best, educated guesses of where, how and by whom our stuff will be employed.
We pride ourselves in living in a free country but then accept that someone else should make our decisions for us.
Brian   

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 09:50:24 AM »
Safety regulations are useful but as any Tom, Dock or Harry can buy a chainsaw, a bandsaw, etc etc all potentially lethal, and set up in their garage it (H&S Laws) doesn't apply except in a business set up. Bottom line common sense is perhaps the greatest (and perhaps most lacking) thing needed when using anything and as Paul poi ts out the chain saw attachments for an angle grinder are not exactly the safest accesories around.I have one that came woith the tool and swithed it on once and not used it at all. Very hard to control or assess what it is going to do. I am sure someone will come on and say they use it a lot and never had an accident. I haven't hd an accident in nearly 60 years turning, doesn;t mean it is totally safe.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 05:08:09 PM »
As Paul mentioned this particular cutter is not able to be guarded effectively and it also seems that there is a risk to life if the chain comes off, an angle grinder does not have a braking system on it and so is not deemed to be suitable for this type of cutter.Or not fit for purpose.
Brian I understand where you are coming from but years ago, before I was married , I worked for a company that had a poor reputation for health and safety, but they paid well. In those days I was saving up to get married and was not concerned with how safe other employees were because I was convinced that I was working as safely as I could.
One of the employees was using a hand held belt sander, anyone can buy them in B&Q but as he finished sanding he dropped the hand holding the sander down to his side and the belt caught up with his jeans, he promtly collapsed on the floor. We all rushed over and started cutting his jeans away,we had to use stanley knives as nothing else would touch it, it was like cutting iron. We eventually freed him but his leg was black from toes to thigh and he was rushed to A&E. He didn't lose his leg but did lose some use of it. So yes I am happy in principal with the darwinian theory but I would rather not see accidents happen in the first place and in my book anything that prevents them is a good thing ( after many years spent in the wood working industry I can say I have seen more than my fair share of accidents)

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 07:22:02 PM »
I've just speed-read through this thread but I think it might be useful for people to watch this video _

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7xWHEWov8M