General Category > General Discussion

Bench grinders

<< < (3/4) > >>

Woodcrafts:
I completely agree with Bill's comments about overheating tools and that it is almost impossible to damage HSS but one of the key reasons for overheating is not the speed of the grinder, it is the failure of the user to keep the stones clean.

One comment I will make regarding the original posting is to get a grinder with wheels suitable for turning tools, NOT the grey carborundum fitted to many.

I would also recommend a sharpening jig that will accomodate all your tools AND the grinds that you want to use. Too many jigs can't cope with larger tools or long grinds, especially when tools have been used and are shorter in length.

Bill21:

--- Quote from: Woodcrafts on August 05, 2021, 04:31:12 PM ---I would also recommend a sharpening jig that will accomodate all your tools AND the grinds that you want to use. Too many jigs can't cope with larger tools or long grinds, especially when tools have been used and are shorter in length.

--- End quote ---

Yes I agree with that. Some jigs aren’t very well designed. Once a spindle gouge gets a bit short some jigs aren’t much use unless you grind a flat along the top!

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on August 05, 2021, 06:50:13 PM ---Yes I agree with that. Some jigs aren’t very well designed. Once a spindle gouge gets a bit short some jigs aren’t much use unless you grind a flat along the top!

--- End quote ---

On the plus side, it is when the tools are worn down beyond jig use you get to play with all the weird and wonderful (usually weird) profiles you read about but didn't want to try on your working tools.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
I think it is the manufacturers of slow speed grinders that tell you that slow spedd grinders are the essential sharpening tool, but then they would wouldn't they?
Have a look at my youtube channel, thebowlerhattedturner, and you will see half a dozen videos of my sharpening system in use. No need for all these expensive gimmicky grinders. Learn how to use a bench grinder correctly and save yourself a fortune.

Tim Pettigrew:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BowlerHattedTurner

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version