General Category > General Discussion

How to dry fresh willow for turning

(1/2) > >>

TeamWild:
I’ve never turned willow before but is it any good for turning in either it’s wet or dry form?

I’m also after any hints and tips for drying out willow? My assumption is that you’d do usual things like paint the ends with PVA or other sealer to slow the drying process down and also store it out of direct sunlight.
Have I missed anything important?

Cheers
Ben

Bill21:
I’ve only turned it wet and got soaked!  ;D

bodrighywood:
Brilliant wood if you are into surrealisitic art. It turns lovely when green as long as you wear wet weather gear and when finished stand back and watch mother natuire take over and distort, warp and twist your work in to unearthly shapes. Apart from all that fine. Haven't lived long enough yet to find any dry willoe to turn apart from an old cricket bat which was a bit boring to be honest.

Pete

TeamWild:

--- Quote from: bodrighywood on August 10, 2021, 07:03:41 PM ---Brilliant wood if you are into surrealisitic art. It turns lovely when green as long as you wear wet weather gear and when finished stand back and watch mother natuire take over and distort, warp and twist your work in to unearthly shapes. Apart from all that fine. Haven't lived long enough yet to find any dry willoe to turn apart from an old cricket bat which was a bit boring to be honest.

Pete

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the info Pete. I’ll just have to give it a go and see what happens.

Bill21:
Make sure you wipe down the lathe and chuck etc afterwards to prevent your investment going rusty.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version