General Category > For Sale / Wanted

WANTED: Large capacity lathe.

<< < (2/3) > >>

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on September 06, 2021, 02:54:06 PM ---I suspect you may be far better off buying an old English made machine. Something like a Wadkin RU if you can find one.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/wadkin/

I seem to remember that someone on here bought one a while back?

--- End quote ---

that would be ideal but they are invariably 3 phase and never  cheap. My frien=d has a wadkin that can turn 8' over the end and between centres turn up to 10' I think it is. Got an electric bed you can open up to accomodate larger diameters. I think kit cost him over 10 grand 15 years ago. Which one has Ricgard Findlay got? That's a biggy too.

Pete

PhilipW:

--- Quote from: Dancie on September 06, 2021, 09:00:26 AM ---Hello Philip - sorry I cant help with your enquiry - but I just wanted to say how much I like your work  :)

--- End quote ---

Thank you, I appreciate it.

--- Quote from: Mike313 on September 06, 2021, 02:17:48 PM ---If I am interpreting what you say correctly, you want a lathe that can turn, between centres, a piece of wood that is 700mm long and 450 in diameter?

--- End quote ---

That is correct, or along those lines. So something like a Vicmarc vl300 with a bed extension, I just can't afford 6k right now.

--- Quote from: bodrighywood on September 06, 2021, 02:58:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bill21 on September 06, 2021, 02:54:06 PM ---I suspect you may be far better off buying an old English made machine. Something like a Wadkin RU if you can find one.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/wadkin/

I seem to remember that someone on here bought one a while back?

--- End quote ---

that would be ideal but they are invariably 3 phase and never  cheap. My frien=d has a wadkin that can turn 8' over the end and between centres turn up to 10' I think it is. Got an electric bed you can open up to accomodate larger diameters. I think kit cost him over 10 grand 15 years ago. Which one has Ricgard Findlay got? That's a biggy too.

Pete

--- End quote ---

I have been looking at old wadkin, they fetch a lot of money. 3 phase is an option as I can have it wired in if needed.

julcle:
Hi Philip,  It may be an idea to have a quick word with Paul Hannaby on this platform. I think he is aware of a couple of heavy lathes in the Worcester area. Things like a Stuby and a VB36.  --  Julian

PhilipW:

--- Quote from: julcle on September 07, 2021, 11:25:06 AM ---Hi Philip,  It may be an idea to have a quick word with Paul Hannaby on this platform. I think he is aware of a couple of heavy lathes in the Worcester area. Things like a Stuby and a VB36.  --  Julian

--- End quote ---

Thanks Julian, I will do that.

Wood spinner:

--- Quote from: PhilipW on September 07, 2021, 03:11:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: julcle on September 07, 2021, 11:25:06 AM ---Hi Philip,  It may be an idea to have a quick word with Paul Hannaby on this platform. I think he is aware of a couple of heavy lathes in the Worcester area. Things like a Stuby and a VB36.  --  Julian

--- End quote ---

Thanks Julian, I will do that.

--- End quote ---

Not sure the VB36 that is for sale here would be for you as it is a bowl turner only / Faceplate machine it does not have a bed or tailstock

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version