General Category > General Discussion

spindle adapter M33 x 3.5mm to 1" 10tpi

<< < (2/5) > >>

Badgerboy:
That's what I thought it was and got the adapter with 8tpi but wouldn't fit. has now been checked with a thread gauge and it's 10tpi

Derek:
Was the chuck originally a 3/4" X 16 thread and someone had it machined to suit their lathe hence the reason record said they never made a chuck with that thread.

Badgerboy:
The chuck is brand new never used. According to Record it must be a ripoff. With their name and number stamped on the body of it I doubt it.

Bill21:
I must admit I’m not a fan of adapters as it increases the distance from the work to the lathe bearings further than intended. Having said that, turning small items with light cuts shouldn’t present a problem. Another issue though is how well the adapter is made and are both threads perfectly concentric. Any decent machinist would be able to make one, at a cost. How good it may be is another matter.

Woodcrafts:
I realise this won't help the original poster but I find this quite concerning since I recommend Record Power's chucks as a good option.

If Record say they have never made an SC3, their dedicated thread type chuck, then what is the source of the seller of the OP's chuck? I think Record will know what they have and haven't manufactured, in which case this item is fraudulent and the original poster would be entitled to a refund, based on UK law and also Ebay/Paypal's rules for sellers.

I also wonder if anyone else has bought one of these chucks. i.e. owners of lathes with 1"x10 headstock threads. Union Jubilee springs to mind.

It is a shame that the original poster didn't purchase a chuck with the correct thread to start with. That would have removed the need for an adaptor, with the inherent problems of shortened bed length and possible misalignment.

I will be watching this thread with interest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version